If variety is the spice of life, then friendship is the sugar! I recently read one article and another about an 80-year Harvard study about happiness. Research touts the beneficial effects of social relationships on our happiness, health and longevity. I grew up witnessing my parents valuing strong social networks. From my own interactions, I know that having a variety of friendships brings magic, joy, growth and learning to life. When we have close and authentic connections to people of different stages, ages, backgrounds and perspectives, we build greater empathy and broaden our worldviews. Like a good financial portfolio, you gotta diversify your friendship investments! So here’s a list of the different types of friends I think we should have to make our lives richer and happier!
- The Sage: the friend you go to for sound and practical advice.
- The Lush: the friend you call for strong cocktails and good conversation.
- The Daredevil: the friend who is more adventurous than you. They help you get out of your comfort zone and to live on the wild side a little.
- The Big Sister/Brother: the friend who gives you tough love when you need it, but always has your back.
- The Little Brother/Sister: the friend who looks up to you and reminds you of how awesome you are. You give them tough love at times, but always have their back.
- The Auntie/Uncle: the older friend who cooks/buys you a good meal and gives you a unique and broader life perspective based on their years of experience.
- The Homegirl/Homeboy: the friend who knows you from way back and has been by your side through various phases in life. This friend reminds you of where you come from and celebrates where you are today.
- The Twin Soul: the friend who is a reflection of who you are. Maybe you have similar childhood stories or share careers or current life struggles. You have so much in common that you can be 100% yourself with them. They accept the good, bad, and ugly without judgement and this ultimately gives you confidence to be a better version of yourself.
- The Bestie: if you’re lucky you’ll have a best friend who provides a little mix of all of the friend types in your portfolio. This person is heavily invested in your life and is your go-to for fun, support, and encouragement.
So Suitie, which friend are you and how diverse is your portfolio?